Pages

My photo
Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
I maintain that you can find corners of brilliance anywhere, if you take the time to look for them. I aim to be happy, no matter the surroundings. I believe that anything (even the small, overlooked, mundane, daily activities...and maybe especially those sorts of things) can be an ADVENTURE if you have the right attitude. Of course, matching t-shirts also always help endeavor. And yes, if I get to wear an outfit, I really will be more apt to do something...I enjoy outfits.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

One time on Gilmore Girls, Lorelei walks into a coffee shop and says "Coffeecoffeecoffee." The lady hands her 3 cups of coffee. And Lorelei says, I only ordered 1. And the lady says, "You said, Coffeecoffeecoffee. That's 3 coffees."
Here's an inside tip: I love getting coffee. I love holding something warm in my hands, slowly bringing it close to my nose, and inhaling the lovely aroma of espresso, steamed milk, and (in tonight's case) caramel syrup. I used to not care for coffee at all...thinking it wasn't sweet enough and such. Then I discovered milk and sugar and the problem was solved.

Drinking coffee as a free time activity was probably solidified when I lived in Germany. Germans make "getting a coffee" last a whole afternoon...and when a mug is only $3-4, why not? Coffee became more than a way to stay awake in class, but a way to unwind, spend time, have deep conversations, think about life, and in today's case: escape from a sudden downpour.
  In Korea, the coffee shop trend has really flourished. Even chain stores specialize in presentation, each one claiming more quality and authenticity than the next. Prior to coming here, I had managed to wean myself off of coffee, but how can I resist here? Coffee becomes not just a drink, but a social activity, a place for quiet, a way to make work more exciting, etc. etc.
Since it is such a part of my life, I thought I'd show some pics of recent outings. Appearance is everything in this country, and coffee never fails to disappoint. 
 
Kristen & Suie introduced me to the Panda Man Cafe. He can do amazing latte art.






 


Caramel Macchiato and waffle at Cafe Bene.
This was some very sturdy foam. I was impressed.
 
The Hello Kitty Cafe in Hongdae.
I found my people!


1 comment:

  1. I'm drinking my morning coffee while I read this! As I've had to be cautious with my caffeine consumption over the past year I've realized how deep and abiding my love for coffee is.... Wish you and I could go grab a coffee together this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete