Pages

My photo
Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
I maintain that you can find corners of brilliance anywhere, if you take the time to look for them. I aim to be happy, no matter the surroundings. I believe that anything (even the small, overlooked, mundane, daily activities...and maybe especially those sorts of things) can be an ADVENTURE if you have the right attitude. Of course, matching t-shirts also always help endeavor. And yes, if I get to wear an outfit, I really will be more apt to do something...I enjoy outfits.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Documenting Seoul: Korean Cafeteria Delicacies

So Mary reminds me frequently that I should be documenting my time here in Korea. One thing in particular she holds me accountable on is the food. And I have to say, the food is worth documenting!
I really don't miss food at home, and am worried that when I get home and someone hands me a fork and a big hunk of bread, I might just stare at it and think "huh."
One of my favorite things about Korean food is that you can find pretty good food for cheap. One of the best places to do this (it seems) is the cafeteria. Korean food courts, I am realizing, can be a lot different than American food courts. For instance, there is a large display case that has examples of all the different dishes available. You choose the one you want and pay up front and then when your number appears, you go and find it.
Here are some recent food court finds:
1) Dongas (fried pork) and fancy kimbap at a department store cafeteria. Now, Sarah and I had a discussion about this Kimbap, because I called it Sushi. In Indiana, sushi restaurant serve rolls like these and call them sushi. Sarah claims it is Kimbap ingrediants all the way, so that could mean that all of our sushi restaurants are actually serving us Korean food and not Japanese food....hm....do I smell a Kimbap conspiracy?


2) Albap (rice with fish eggs and dried seaweed). This was at the Home Plus cafeteria. Home Plus is kind of like a giant 2-story Target. If Target also had a giant food court and basement. After perusing discounts, Mary & I were famished! Good thing Home Plus was ready to feed us!

No comments:

Post a Comment