Pages

My photo
Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
I maintain that you can find corners of brilliance anywhere, if you take the time to look for them. I aim to be happy, no matter the surroundings. I believe that anything (even the small, overlooked, mundane, daily activities...and maybe especially those sorts of things) can be an ADVENTURE if you have the right attitude. Of course, matching t-shirts also always help endeavor. And yes, if I get to wear an outfit, I really will be more apt to do something...I enjoy outfits.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

In case you thought I'd forgotten about you...

....tadaaaaaaaa! I haven't!!!
I've just been über busy lately, and sick, so I haven't had much time to blog. Never fear, though, I am feeling better and have plenty of ideas for the blog. Hopefully, I'll have time too!
Well, at this time of year, many people wonder, "How do Koreans celebrate Christmas? Do Koreans celebrate Christmas? What's it like?"
Yes, Koreans celebrate Christmas. Perhaps it's not as ingrained as in America, but in the nominal sense at least, Christmas is here. You can even hear Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer and Jingle Bells translated into Korean. Major things I notice about Christmas: all of the bakeries make amazing Christmas cakes and often give you a prize if you buy one. Like Dunkin Donuts and Tous Les Jours. This blog has some good pics of the cake + gift phenomenon.
As far the real meaning of Christmas, well, the world's largest church is here in Seoul and a little over half of the country is Christian. Plus, with a Jesus like this  (see pic), who doesn't want to celebrate Christmas?
In general, I would say, Koreans celebrate Christmas with a lot of lights. If you thought this country had enough lights, you were wrong. Just like there's always more space on the subway, there's always more spots that need lights.

Illuminating the city is a team effort.

Outside COEX, a shopping mall. It speaks for itself.

Last year, I had a really great Christmas. I helped pass out gifts at Guion Children's home in the morning, then attended the English Christmas service put on by the Association of International Ministries in Korea. After that, I met up with some friends for dinner and finished the night at downtown Seoul, where it also started snowing.
This year, I will be going back to Guin Children's home with Jubilee folk. After that though, my plan is going to somewhat diverge from last year's. I'm sure I will blogging about those adventures soon enough.
It is really tough to be away from home on the holidays, but I'm thankful to be in a city that doesn't shirk on Christmas spirit (even if it's just commercial. sometimes, commercial can be cute.). And thankful that there are always activities to keep me busy. This year, I have even MORE to be thankful for.
Anyways, I will do my best to share the Holidays, Korean style in the coming days. Until then, Merry Christmas friends & family.

No comments:

Post a Comment