We started off by getting to church at 9AM sharp. Well, there was a quick stop at the Paris Baguette and then onto church. (Ecclesia's espresso machine takes 30 minutes to heat up, and we needed coffee STAT!) I showed him around Ecclesia and the church. Although Ana told me not to work, I ended up making a few drinks before service anyways. ^^ Mike was very impressed with the cardboard walls of Ecclesia and also with the service. This was awesome to me, because Jubilee has been such a big part of my life and experience here in Seoul.
I want to go to there: Take Subway #3 to Sinsa. Go out Exit 6 and just walk for about 10 minutes, veering to the right. Jubilee is on the 3rd and 4th floors of the Lourus Little School.
Listening to Jubilee: December 26th's message was entitled Worship Service.
After church, we walked around Sinsa's Garosu-gil. This street is filled with unique shops, trendy restaurants, and cozy cafes. It tends to attract a fashionable crowd, but makes for a nice stroll. I had wanted to eat at one of my fave's, the O'Taco Burger, but was saddened to see it has been replaced by something else. (Things is Korean move quick!) We ended up going for Vietnamese Pho, which was also tasty on such a cold day.
I want to go to there: Sinsa Station (line 3), exit 8. Walk for 10 minutes.
I want to read more: This is one of my favorite blogs about Seoul. He has a pretty good description with pictures of Garosu-gil: Discovering Korea.
The current exhibit at the National Museum of Contemporary Art was "Picasso and Modern Art: Passion and Solitude." The exhibit featured works mostly from the 20th century by Picasso and his contemporaries, highlighting the changes brought about by the tumultuous time in world history. Many of the pieces came from the Albertina Museum in Vienna. Mike and I decided...we are not fans of pastels and also could not understand how paintings from the 1990s snuck into the exhibit. Really, they just don't seem old enough.
I want to go to there: Exit 12 of City Hall Station, Line 2 or Exit 2 of City Hall Station, Line 1.
I want to read a real blog about it: Lucky for you, Discovering Korea has lots of info.
I love modern art: Well, you can't beat an afternoon with German Expressionists. Especially if you get to walk through a palace on your way to the art museum.
| Merry Christmas from Namsangol Hanok Village |
My plan for the evening was to go to Namsan Tower, but I decided to take a round-about way to get there. First, we visited Namsangol Hanok Village. Hanok is the name for traditional-style Korean houses. This village has 5 Hanok buildings, featuring traditional house arrangements. During the day (or when the weather is nice!), you can learn traditional crafts and games there as well. In past visits, I've been able to try on hanbok (traditional Korean dress), and also took a manners lesson with my Korean class.
However, it was a cold and blustery day-closing-in-on-evening when Mike and I arrived, so there would be no print-making or hanbok for us. We DID find, though, something even more magical. We entered the park and see this forklift driving around big blocks of ice. We look at each other thinking, "What is all that ice for?" Well, when we turned around the corner, we saw the answer. There was an AMAZING ICE SCULPTURE VILLAGE!!! Even if Namsangol Hanok Village had been blown away, it was worth seeing the ice sculptures. There were ice Hanok and an ice-table set with ice-dishes and Christmas messages and everything.
| Evening sets in on a Hanok |
I want to learn more: You can choose English or Korean. But just go, that's the best way! And it's free, so what have you got to lose?
| Seoul from the Namsan Hiking Trail |
| Merry Christmas from Namsan Tower |
Namsan Tower is, in my opinion, the landmark of Seoul. It is the most recognizable building on any city-scape and visible from almost everywhere in the city. At the base of the tower are a few restaurants, shops, and pavilions. These viewing decks alone give a commanding view of the city and remind you that yes, you really are in the middle of one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world. The tower was build in 1971 and open to the public in 1980. It is the sending and receiving antennae for all of the major broadcasting channels in Seoul.
The tower is 236.7 meters high from the top of Namsan. You can take a high-speed elevator to the top, where there is a 360 degree observation deck.
Another famous Seoulism is at the base of Namsan Tower. Here, there are a few terraces where you can see all the scenery that Seoul has to offer. Namsan Tower is often heralded for its "romantic" experiences, and the terraces prove just how romantic it is. Over the past few years, the terrace fences have become covered in locks of love. These padlocks represent lovers' commitment to stay together. Traditionally, lovers throw away the keys to ensure that they stay together forever.
I want to go to there: As you should. Why come to Seoul and not see its major landmark? Walking: I suggest the path leading up from Namsangol Hanok Village. Head towards the time capsule, but then start following signs for the cable car. You have to walk through one parking lot, but don't get thrown off, you will reach the walking path!
It's too cold to walk: Take Line 4 to Myeong-dong. Go out exit 3. It's a 10 minute walk up to the cable car station.
It's really too cold to walk: Take the bus! The Yellow Namsan Bus leaves from Chungmuro Station (exit 2), Dongguk University Station (exit 6), Itaewon Station (exit 4), or Hangangjin Station (exit 2).
I want to see Seoul: Luckily, the website offers you a view. Check it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment