So, I haven't been here that long, and maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I really do love this country. I never feel restless here or discontent. I really think I have so much to learn and see here and to discover...not just about Korea, but also about myself and about how God wants to use me.
So 4 new teachers came today to our school. A group of us took them out for dinner this evening to Korean BBQ. BBQ meaning they set a griddle on your table, throw some pork and veggies on there, and you are good to go. It was so good. I ate tons! Anyways, so I hate eating a lot and then just going home. The phrase "FAT! FAT!" just blares in my mind, so I decided to go on a walk. There is a stream with really nice walking paths about 3/4 of a mile from my apartment, so I thought, if I walk to and from the Yangjae stream, then that's good exercise.
So I get up there and there are a lot of people walking along the stream, so I thought, why walk all the way to the stream, if I'm not actually going to walk along it for a little bit? Koreans don't really seem to let nightfall keep them from exercising, so this might become a habit for me, since I know it will be safe. So I walk along the stream, and hear music and think, oh, maybe there's a concert going on. And it was so cool! It was a church and they were handing out packets of wetwipes and free drinks. They had a small choir on a stage in the middle of the stream, then they had a group of musicians playing traditional Korean instruments. It kind of reminded me of something Bethel would do maybe...if Bethel Temple were in Korea. I don't know why it made me think of Bethel, but it made me happy.
There was probably over a hundred people watching them. Between songs, the pastor would speak. I had no idea what he was saying or even what the choir was singing, but it was so beautiful and so pleasant, and the ladies handing out drinks were just so nice, it really warmed my heart to live in a city where this could take place. *^-^*
- Jillian L.
- Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
- I maintain that you can find corners of brilliance anywhere, if you take the time to look for them. I aim to be happy, no matter the surroundings. I believe that anything (even the small, overlooked, mundane, daily activities...and maybe especially those sorts of things) can be an ADVENTURE if you have the right attitude. Of course, matching t-shirts also always help endeavor. And yes, if I get to wear an outfit, I really will be more apt to do something...I enjoy outfits.
That's fantastic! It sounds so idyllic and peaceful. I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time there. Christina emailed me and said you guys were meeting up for church on Sunday! I'm so glad I was able to connect you two wonderful women!
ReplyDelete