Pages

My photo
Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
I maintain that you can find corners of brilliance anywhere, if you take the time to look for them. I aim to be happy, no matter the surroundings. I believe that anything (even the small, overlooked, mundane, daily activities...and maybe especially those sorts of things) can be an ADVENTURE if you have the right attitude. Of course, matching t-shirts also always help endeavor. And yes, if I get to wear an outfit, I really will be more apt to do something...I enjoy outfits.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Travel Blog Part II: Ode to Narita

Before I move on and talk about getting to O'Hare, I thought I'd spend some time and talk a little bit about Narita Airport. One, because I got off a plane 4 hours ago and yet still feel like I'm moving. Two, Chicago did not like my duty-free shopping and so my backpack has become even heavier. Three, it took me FOREVER to find an outlet and get connected to the internet...SO, I am staying put.

Anyways, I had been to Narita on my way to Seoul the first time I went there. At that time, I remember it being hot and boring. It seemed very desolate for being the main airport for one of the largest cities in the world (maybe THE largest city of the world...websites seem to differ on their opinions).
So going back and having a 6ish hour layover did not sound like fun to me. Especially because I had heard disparaging comments from another friend who had stopped there on her way home. However, I have to say, I was pleastantly surprised. The main shopping area was bright and colorful; there were several little different shops...being a person who is distracted by color and sheen, they definitely held my attention. Also, there was a cute internet cafe that offered good coffee complete with foam art and FREE internet. I was even able to "rent" a shower.

I also thought the people were really nice. Koreans are nice in a very ... "earthy" way, I'll say. Nice in the way that if the store ahjummah thinks you didn't get the right pillows, she will take them out of your cart and give you different ones. I love Koreans. I love the way they are loud and push and the Ahjussis make these noises in the back of their throats, and they wave with both hands, and they make hearts on top of their heads.
The people at the Narita airport were nice in the way that...obviously, they are used to dealing with foreigners and didn't seem non-plussed by it at all. Also (and I'm totally basing this off the hostess/baristas at the cafe), they are just polite. They smile, look happy to see you, watch to make sure you are enjoying your drink...but they don't hover. I was super impressed!
SO, opinion of Narita changed. You know what? I liked it there, and I could spend another afternoon there (In fact, in 2 weeks, I will be doing just that).

No comments:

Post a Comment